LANAP Laser Surgery
LANAP Laser Surgery
Implant and Family Dentistry is a Memphis, TN area dental practice that provides laser gum surgery. The Laser Assisted New Attachment Procedure (LANAP®) is an innovative new method of treating gum disease that does not cause harm to healthy tissue. Laser gum surgery is often preferred over traditional gum surgery because is it less invasive and promotes better oral health. This means that there is less pain, less bleeding, and less risk of infection. Until now, the only available methods of treating gum disease involved cutting away tissue to reduce pocket depths. However, With LANAP® laser gum surgery , patients do not need to fear any unpleasant side effects.
Laser gum surgery offers several benefits over traditional surgery. These include:
- Faster healing – Laser gum surgery does not remove any healthy tissue from the gums. This makes it possible for the body to heal faster.
- Less pain – Because laser gum surgery does not require the use of a blade, there is less pain and discomfort involved. Patients generally do not require pain medication afterward.
- Less recession of the gum line – Because a smaller amount of tissue is removed, there is very little recession in the gum line.
- Minimal bleeding and inflammation – Laser gum surgery can remove bacteria from your mouth while leaving the healthy tissue intact. The result is less inflammation and less bleeding.
- Promotion of bone regeneration – LANAP® is able to stimulate bone and tissue regrowth surrounding the infected area. This means that we can often save teeth that would normally be deemed hopeless.
The secret to the success of LANAP® is the PerioLase®MVP-7™. This is an innovative new laser that is able to distinguish between healthy and diseased tissue. This is how LANAP® laser gum surgery is able to remove diseased tissue without harming the healthy tissue. LANAP® is the first and only laser gum surgery to receive clearance from the FDA.
How Does Laser Dentistry Work?
Lasers work by converting energy into the form of light. In laser gum surgery, the laser is used as a cutting instrument to vaporize any tissue that it comes in contact with. When used for fillings, lasers strengthen the bond between the filling and the tooth. For teeth whitening treatments, the laser is used to heat and strengthen the effects of the bleaching agents.
What Is The PerioLase® MVP-7™ ?
PerioLase® MVP-7™ is the only laser that has received clearance by the FDA. This is a highly intelligent laser that, when used for laser gum surgery can effectively distinguish between healthy and diseased tissue. We have years of science and research to prove it’s effectiveness.
Is Laser Gum Surgery Less Painful?
Yes. Typically there is less pain and less discomfort involved in laser gum surgery. Instead of using a blade to cut away tissue, we can use a laser to remove only the disease portions. The result is less pain, less bleeding, and less recession of the gum line.
Is Laser Gum Surgery Safe?
When the laser is used in accordance with the established procedure, it is no more dangerous than traditional methods. In some cases, you may be asked to wear protective eye wear so you do not damage your eyes.
How Do I Know If My Dentist Is Properly Trained To Perform Laser Gum Surgery?
Ask lots of questions about the extent of his or her training and education in the field. They should have participated in special training courses administered by the lasers manufacturer.
How Do I Know If I Am A Candidate For Laser Gum Surgery?
You will have to schedule a consultation with a local Memphis, TN area dentist to be sure. Although most people are qualified for laser gum surgery, not everyone is. Contact Implant and Family Dentistry for more information.
Does Laser Gum Surgery Cost More Than Traditional Gum Surgery?
LANAP is competitively priced with traditional gum surgery techniques. However, much more technology is employed in LANAP procedures that add value to the treatment, predictability to the outcome, and confidence to your being able to keep your teeth.